Monday 27 April 2015

ORGANIZATION EXPERIENCE


For fresh graduate,academic knowledge and  soft skill ability is equally important. Soft skill can be interpreted as interpersonal skill or people skill, such as, communication skill, leadership, time management, negotiation, etc. It can not be learned in class or by watching tutorial in youtube. We can study soft skill by practicing it. We can do that by joining community or organization.

I have joined to some organizations since the second year of my study, the organization which give the biggest impact to me is PMKT (christian engineering fellowship). There, i study many things, and my life has changed.

I joined KPPA (Research, Development, and alumnus department) of PMKT UGM in september 2014. First, regeneration team (Timreg) of PMKT offered me to join KPPA, i dont want to join at all, i rejected it, because there are so many responsibilities to take if i join to KPPA. I can say that KPPA is the highest department in PMKT which is equal to General Coordinator of PMKT. But the next week, they still offer me and give me time to think. I am in dilema that time, one side, i want to focus to study, because i have a plan to publish paper in electrical international journar IEEE. But the other side, it is not awesome to publish paper when you have so much free time, all people can do that. And my other concern is that i am a christian, and as a christian, i dont want to live just for my self, that is selfish, and i am moved by a sermon that i hear in a church someday that tell "It is a must for a christian to service others". So finally i join the KPPA.

And what i fear happen. 40% of my time is spent in PMKT. Meeting everytime, there are so many responsibilities, and also mental pressure.
There are 3-8 meetings a week, and the worst thing is sometime we make meeting after 10 pm,  or at 5 am, because the member shcedules are different each other, so we have to find time which all people can join.  Honestly, i ever went down, i collapse, i am desperate,i confess that i am lack of disciplne of time management, proscrastination is my best friend, and it make the condition getting worse.

But that is the turning point in my life, i am desperate, and i fall down deeply, i know my weakness. And after that, i am struggling to find solution, i make commitment to my self to change, i read a lot phsycological, self heal, motivational book,  I have read more than 15 books until now, i am trying hard to find best seller book for discipline. And the result is, i have changed.
My paradigm has shifted, the way i think is totally changed, i am in progrees of not to do proscrastination, i am not afraid anymore to meetings, i am not afraid anymore to talk to new people.

Contribution i can give to my department is idea and problem soving, i like to think something new, something conceptual, i build website for our organization when i was at communication department, sometime i give solution when we are stuck at out meetings. I am not smart, but i like to think.

I think to achive something bigger, we have to risk something, it is an option for us to choose whether we join community or ogranization in out college time, but i promise you, you will get many things useful if you dare to join.

Unknown Engineer and Blogger

Halo saya Beny Septian Pardede, semoga apa yang saya bagikan bisa berguna bagi anda dan orang disekitar anda, tetap berpikir kritis dan jangan terima begitu saja setiap tulisan yang saya buat, ambil yang berguna dan silahkan beri saran yang sopan di kotak komentar dibawah jika tulisan yang saya buat bertentangan dengan nilai yang anda pegang, Terimakasih.

No comments:

Post a Comment